Monday, May 27, 2013

Baby Gladiator Sandals


I got so sick and tired of people wanting me to pay for this pattern.  And I was sure I wasn't the only one, so I came up with my own.  This pattern is for size 0-3 months but can very simply be altered for an older child by changing the hook size.

I used a size C (2.75mm) hook and worsted weight yarn.  I don't have exact yardages, but these booties are a great stashbuster! The white I used is Red Heart Soft yarn in white as my contrasting color and the pink I used as my main color is Red Heart Super Saver in Petal Pink.

Ch: Chain
Sc: Single Crochet
Hdc: Half double crochet
Dc: Double Crochet
Sl st: slip stitch
MC: Main Color
CC: Contrasting color
St/Sts: Stitch/Stitches
Sk: Skip
F/O: Fasten off.

The soles are worked in flat rounds, starting on one side of the chain and going around the end to the bottom part of the chain.  The beginning stitches in the rounds will always be worked in the same stitch as the joining.
Sole: (Make 4 with CC)

Ch 9

Round 1: 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in the next 3 ch, hdc in the next ch, dc in the next 2 ch, 7 dc in the last ch (for a smaller sole, use hdc in stead of dc.).  At this point the chain will have made a 180 degree turn and you're working on the back side of the chain. Dc in the next 2 ch, hdc in the next ch, sc in the next 2 ch, sc2tog.  Sl st to the first sc to join.  Ch 1. (22 sts)

Round 2: 2 sc in each of the next 3 sts, sc in the next 7 sts, 2 sc in each of the next 5 sts, sc in the next 7 sts, sl st to join.  Ch 1 (30 sts)

Round 3: *1sc in the first st, 2 sc in the next st* 3 times, sc in the next 7 sts, *1 sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st* 5 times, sc in the next 7 sts, sl st to join. (38 sts)

F/O

Sew 2 soles together using MC  with the right sides out.  Then using the same color, sew a small stitch to the top center of the sole for the toe strap as I have done here:


The heels of the shoes are worked in back and forth rows.  There's a ch 1 at the end of each row for a turning chain.  For the left shoe, join yarn on the left and work left to right.  For the right shoe, start on the right and work right to left.  This way, the buttons will be on the outside of both shoes.
Starting at the center stitch and the back of the sole, count six stitch left, and six stitches right.  This will give you a total of 13 stitches for the heel.  Place markers if you need to.
When joining the yarn for the heel, you're going to join in the stitches made by sewing the soles together.  This is why I chose to sew them with the MC instead of the CC.

Heel: 
Row 1: Join yarn, ch 1 and sc in the same space.  Sc in the next 12 sts.
Rows 2 & 3: sc across.
At the end of row 3, ch 15
Row 4: Sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in each stitch across.  

Row 5 (buttonhole row): Sc to the last 3 sts in the row.  Ch 2, sk 2 sts, and sc in the last st. 
Row 6: Sc across
F/O

Toe strap: 
 Ch 5.
Rows 1-4: Sc in each st across. Ch 1. Turn.
Row 5: Sc dec in the first 2 sts. Ch 1. Turn.
Row 6: Sc dec. Ch 1. Turn.
Row 7: Work 1 tr in 1st st.

Without fastening off, join the tr with a sl st to the toe stitch we made in the beginning, or you can omit the stitch and sl st the strap to the 5th dc in round 1.  Then ch 1 to secure.

F/O

Sew the toe strap to the button strap.  I would do this after sewing on the button that way the straps wouldn't be crooked.

Make sure your ends are weaved in tight! :)






And that's all there is to it!  You can add a bow or some flowers or gems for decoration.  I hope this pattern isn't too confusing for you guys, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me :)   Happy Crocheting!

E-mail: toxicheartbreak@gmail.com
Facebook: facebook.com/TRexyCrafts
YouTube Link to Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNAOoOwXGHc

33 comments:

  1. Love these! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I hope it's easy for you to understand! I'm still fairly new to the pattern-writing world!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, I have felt the same way but did not go ahead like you did! I know it takes time and you are wonderful to share it everyone! Going to start a pair today - even tho we have no babies in our family!!! Thanks again, Ann

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very very much! I felt the same way and wasn't sure if i could figure it out on my own! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm actually working on a variation of these now, so stay posted! And i would love to see pictures of the finished project!

      Delete
  3. Thanks a bunch. Just made a pair. Super quick and easy to understand directions. You deserve a high five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would love to see pictures if you could post them to my facebook! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting this beautiful little pattern. I am looking forward to making these for my five new Granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern
    I found it easy to understand and the pair I've just completed have turned out beautiful.
    I made them in Hot Pink and White.
    A few adjustments I needed to make for sizing, but that is no fault of the pattern, just the materials I used.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please help me Rachel, I am tying to make the left shoe, I started on the left and all the stitching is coming out opposite of the right shoe, what am I doing wrong??

      Delete
    2. Kimberly the stitching is supposed to come out opposite :) so the buttons will be on the outside of each shoe.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't agree more. I find a bootie/shoe/sandal or whatever, I like and low and behold they want me to pay $5 + for a pattern. ONE pattern. I don't think so. I could make my own, but I simply don't have the time so I am so happy that you are willing to make the time to create the patterns and to share them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a pair,but I have not learned how to send pictures yet,but thanks for the pattern. Will send when I learn how. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What does DEC and TR mean in the toestrap? Im almost done, please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dec means decrease and tr means treble crochet. :)

      Delete
  9. Thankyou so much for this pattern you rock! They look so perfect on my baby, and I shar d your link, so you get more traffic. Now if only there was an scarily pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omgness thank you so much I am donating these to a child with special needs and love them thanks again it is very appreciated :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the free pattern,I have several little one's in my family that will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pattern...so easy to follow. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. Any tips if wanting to make for older children and sizing them up for 4 and 7 year olds???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much, I had never creat NOTHING with croche I always wanted to make something but I just don't know how to croche
    After I review a couple of videos, I decided to give a try to your video
    And walaaa in matter of hours I had almost done with a beautiful pair of baby sandals, I just need to complete the toe strap and attach it to the left sandal and that's it, I am very exited that I made them with my own hands :D
    And I know my friend will love them on her new born baby girl :)
    Thank you thank you thank you
    PD I am your fan ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so very much for sharing they are Beautiful i'm excited about making them again Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much. I crochet adult clothing but was recently asked to make a pair of these for a customer's 4 mos. old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. do you have a pattern for a bigger size? I love these!! thanks Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would just like to know how you made the handle grip on your crochet needle.... winds0fchng@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was made on a rainbow loom :) search rainbow loom crochet hook grip on youtube and a tutorial will come up

      Delete
  19. Your music is amazing. You have some very talented artists. I wish you the best of success.
    inexpensive baby carriers

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am just grateful that there are no ads on your page. I couldn't find the pattern on Pinterest due to all the ads!
    Thank you for this simple pattern and for the simplicity in finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are sooooo adorable. Thank very much for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Any pattern that people want is worth paying for because it is a service to you. We don't get other things we need and like for free, right? Being frustrated on the price I understand, but paying for it in general is reasonable. People who blog for a living actually get money from the ads on their page, so even those people aren't really offering it for free. And even people watching your youtube videos will eventually gain you money as well. Paid patterns usually have a LOT more photos as well. I'm just trying to defend peole who put a lot of time and work into writing patterns and they deserve tp get paid for their time.

    ReplyDelete